Re: ORA-12154 Errror PLease help

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 22:53:11 -0000

"Karsten Farrell" <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote in message news:MPG.18ebdfa538b95f9998970e_at_news.la.sbcglobal.net...
> One thing that always seems to snag people is having a default domain
> specified in sqlnet.ora (such as .world). If you have that line, comment
> it out and see what happens. Doesn't seem to be any glaring errors in
> your other .ora files ... assuming you are getting the ORA-12154 error
> while trying to connect on your localhost.

Well, as far as I can see, you and Howard have both given what I have no doubt is the right answer - just with a slight difference in emphasis.

FWIW, I have dispensed with sqlnet.ora altogether. I just got fed up and deleted the damned thing. I'll put it back only when I need to force tracing or some such. I lay no claim to being an OracleNet/Net8 expert, but it works for me - with a couple of dozen hosts in various domains (once we have made arrangements with the firewall people, of course).

Regards,
Paul Received on Sat Mar 29 2003 - 16:53:11 CST