Re: Managing Oracle with R-commands vs. SSH

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 28 Mar 2003 14:07:04 -0800

Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null> wrote in message news:<Xns9349D78B58F2Cpingottpingottbah_at_216.166.71.233>...
> joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in
>
> > Have you asked if they have to do any work like re-writing ten
> > thousand scripts that are expecting to r?
>
> Wouldn't a simple 'sed' script handle the above?

Probably... but I wouldn't expect it of anyone who doth protest as the OP DBA's.

Then there's the, ahem, "remote" possibility of really strange things like poorly coded scripts [even csh's!] and command name or parameter collisions [rsh or remsh? D'Oh!] buried deep within some scripts. I've seen stuff so flaky even _I'm_ afraid of it! :-)

But seriously, the DBA's and the admin need to communicate and evaluate the actual situation. Most likely there's no reason not to do it right. But some stuff is just so awful it won't work the same on two machines apparently configured the same.

jg

--
@home is bogus.
And of course, I'm assuming it works to begin with...