Re: pga_aggregate_target

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:12:25 -0000

This looks like it may turn into a variant of the 'is it a hint or a directive' argument. Is a target something that Oracle TRIES to hit, or something that it HAS to hit ?

My understanding to date is that Oracle operates its PGA allocation with the intent of keeping the total PGA size of dedicated servers below the target value. However, the strategy can only cover certain aspects of PGA management (e.g. sort_area_size) not all of them (e.g. pl/sql array processing memory).

Consequently it is possible for a process to grow it's PGA outside the control of pga_aggregate_target. You might note, particularly, that the PGA allocated for AUTO workareas is zero - I think this means that all your PGA (over-)allocation is down to 'ordinary' PGA use, not to 'tunable' PGA use.

10M is a very small pga_aggregate_target, by the way. A single process is only allowed 5% of the aggregate; and there is a bit of a hint in the hidden parameter descriptions that any value less than 32M is ignored anyway.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk