ORA-01031: insufficient privileges after reorganisation of /etc

From: Ray <raemanuel_at_aol.com>
Date: 27 Mar 2003 12:54:41 -0800

Hi,

I did a big fault and have deleted unfortunately all single files in my /etc directory on my Suse Linux 8.1 machine. But all subdirectories of /etc are still there.

I tried to repair the system and copied all important files from a blank Suse installation in the /ect directory and changed the files too. After that, the machine starts up and I could login to the machine. To complete, I´ve created a new oracle user with the same id and group-id as before.

After restart, the oracle listener (8.1.7.0) starts normaly but the database doesen´t start. If I try to start the database manually with "su - oracle", "svrmgrl" and "connect internal", I will be promted for a password. Unfortunately the old password will not be accepted. The message "ORA-01031: insufficient privileges" appears.

What could be the reason for that? Which important oracle files are located in /etc?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ray Received on Thu Mar 27 2003 - 14:54:41 CST