Re: Database link between Oracle7 and Oracle8

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 06:46:39 -0800

Rui Marcelino wrote:

> Hi there !
>
> I'm trying to create a database link from an Oracle 7.3.4 base to an Oracle
> 8.1.7 base, but it doesn't result.
> Is that suppose to work ?
> The reciproque is true, I can create a usefull database link from an Oracle
> 8.1.7 base to an Oracle 7.3.4. base.
>
> There's the command (executed from the Oracle 7.3.4 base):
> >CREATE DATABASE LINK O8BASE CONNECT TO USER IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD USING
> 'O8DESC'
> Where O8DESC is well defined in the TNSNAMES...
>
> Thanx,
> Rui.

I presume you verified that the 8.1.7 database is in the 7.3.4's tnsnames.ora but did you check the global_names setting and make sure the name you are using will work?

Also there was a syntax change in the tnsnames.ora between 7.3.4 and 8.1.7. I don't know but you might want to check and see if that might be part of the problem.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Mar 27 2003 - 08:46:39 CST