Re: ORA-12154 Errror PLease help

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:49:55 +1100

No Oracle version and no platform.

So this is all entirely guesswork.

(PLEASE: If you post, include a soddin' version and platform. End of Rant. Normal service will be resumed shortly. Your call is important to us. Press 1 to continue).

Your tnsnames has an alias for GCRCDEV. Your Listener is aware of an instance called GCRCDEV.med.utah.edu. My suspicion is that you are running on NT or something desperately similar, and you have a sqlnet.ora containing the line 'sqlnet.default_domain=blah.blah.blah' -or something vaguely similar.

Point is, that line is evil. Sheer, bloody evil. Sorry... if you're in Utah, that should have read, "sheer, dreadful badness". It appends the 'default.domain' silently to whatever you type as your connection tns alias.

For example. Sqlnet.ora set to 'blah.world'. Tnsnames has an entry for 'SALES'. You type 'connect scott/tiger_at_sales' and sqlnet.ora will ensure that what actually gets issued is a 'connect scott/tiger_at_sales.blah.world'.

So. One. Find out what the default domain is, assuming it's set at all in sqlnet.ora, and get rid of it. Just delete the line entirely from your sqlnet.ora, and try again.

Two. Make your tnsnames.ora agree with your sqlnet.ora. In your case, if sqlnet.ora is appending 'blah.world' to whatever you type as your connection string, make sure tnsnames.ora has an entry not for GCRCDEV but for GCRCDEV.blah.world. Replace with med.utah.edu as appropriate, but strictly after meals and before bedtime. Three times a day.

Regards