Re: Off Topic : VNC

From: James Lorenzen <lorenzen+news_at_tiny.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:24:03 -0600

This has been a valuable thread for me. I work with what can called a heterogeneous mix of hardware and OSıs. I use X-windows, SSH, and VNC among other things to connect to the machines in the lab that I work with. (No main frame, no Compaq Tru64, but just about everything else that Oracle runs on).

I am now trying to get 9i RAC running on a pair of Itanium machines with RHAS. These machines are racked up and have no console connected to them. As such, the VNC connection made so much sense, and the GUI has its appeal. (I work with too many different UNIX flavors to be proficient in all of them).

The question that I have is; is there an ia64 bit flavor of VNC available now? I canıt find one and I may have an issue with the standard i386 vncserver. I have exactly what Howard desires running in ia32 RHAS, but I cannot get it to work on the ia64 architecture.

To quote Howard,

"I get twm. Bloody twm!!!"

TIA
  James

In article <b5rg7f$o3u$1_at_ctb-nnrp2.saix.net>, Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote:

> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>
> > ...saved it, rebooted the machine, and connected. Guess what? I get twm.
> >
> > At the command prompt, I type in "exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc", and Lo!
> > Gnome starts. In other words, I can *still* run anything I want manually,
> > but can't get it to do it automatically when I connect from a VNCviewer.
>
> If that's happening, then the xstartup script for VNC is not running, or
> you're editing the wrong one...? This is just very weird Howard.
>
> The vncserver command is a perl job. It looks at "$ENV{HOME}/.vnc" and if it
> does not exist, creates it.
>
> What is $HOME in your session? What happens in you delete the .vnc dir? (it
> should be autocreated)

[snip}>