Re: Oracle Workflow usable for big transactions (commit issue)?

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 21:05:46 +0100

Christof Kaiser wrote:
> I have an application that I want to model in the workflow builder as
> the user interface and functionality is quite what I need.
> However, it is not a buisness process kind of thing, rather a huge
> datawarehouse and I d like to model the import and transformations.

Workflow is not intended for this stuff, Data Warehouse Builder is. Transformations is more InterConnect, quite fast for messaging, but not something I'd recommend for maintaining a DW (in fact, I voted against it in a situation where it was suggested). It will handle a record (message) in about 5-10 ms, when all logging is switched off. Default logging (and stats) are on, and shows 500-800ms <snip>
> Question is, is Oracle workflow the right thing to handle these huge
> transactions??

No. Workflow is just that - model workflows, decision points, start new processes, and stick data in yet another queue. Then wait for some other process to finish.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel