Re: What is the minimum Oracle Version to run on XP (clients)

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 04:29:07 +1100

"Christoph Kukulies" <kuku_at_accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message

> Alison Holloway <Xalison.holloway_at_oracle.comx> wrote:
> > Oracle 8i 8.1.7 Client. Not the Server install.
>
> I just tried to install 8.1.7 Client on Windows XP/Pro
> and it failed. The Autorun install window pops up (after a considerable
> amount of time (1 min)) has passed (1.2 GHz P4, Dell Inspiron 8200)
>
> Clicking on 'Install' results in hour glass appearing for a few seconds.
> Then nothing. No process running.
>
> Also starting setup.exe from the CD does nothing.
>
> Is there a known problem with the install under XP?

No, but (a) it's not certified (I think 9i was the first one certified for XP) and (b) there is a known problem running the 8i installer on a Pentium 4.

As for (a), it nevertheless works fine.

And as for (b), the workaround is to copy the install disks onto your hard disk, search for every occurrence of symcjit.dll, and rename said file(s) to something like symcjit.old. Then try running the installer again.

The problems arise because 8i came out before the Pentium 4 was released, and the Symantec just in time compiler library supplied on the CDs expect the processor to return various strings to identify itself... but when the Pentium 4 announces itself to be a Pentium 4, the poor thing has no idea what it's talking about, and throws a wobbly. Not a problem in 9i, incidentally.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Mar 26 2003 - 11:29:07 CST