Re: Rules of thumb when creating Profiles?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 04:08:44 +1100

"Jay" <jlee00_99_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3ea71bf0.0303260638.8016852_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi HJR,
>
> O/S = UNIX
> RDBMS = ORACLE 7.3.2
>
> Not too sure how to tackle this problem given the facts that you've
> provided from your experience using Profiles. Since, I'm on 7.3.2, it
> looks like i'm screwed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay

What a difference a version makes!

OK, with resource manager out of the question, then profiles it must be.

As I said (and it helps to reply to the right post, so reading the thread in order shows others *what* I said!), setting a maximum number of connections is a perfectly sensible thing to do. No problems there. Setting idle time to 30 is getting slightly more dubious, because it means if a user's server process is idle for 30 minutes, they will be disconnected. Re-connecting (if that's what your users will be tempted to do) is not a lightweight exercise -it could mean, for example, that your Listener gets repeatedly hammered.

It all rather depends on how many users we're talking about. It also rather depends on what else these users are going to be doing on the database.

The way you phrased the original post, it rather sounds as if running this particular report is *all* they will be doing... in which case, simply making sure they don't have privileges to do anything else should surely be sufficient restriction, since you know how much 'damage' this report does to your system, and they don't have rights to do any other queries or DML which could inflict other 'damage'.

So back up a bit: why would leaving their other profile limits to unlimited be a problem? Would a user running this report 5 times in quick succession cause grief to your system? What made you feel, in the first place, that placing limits on the amount of work a user can do on your system was a requirement?

I suppose I should also ask why an upgrade is out of the question, but maybe that's for another time!

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Mar 26 2003 - 11:08:44 CST