Re: Managing Oracle with R-commands vs. SSH

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 26 Mar 2003 18:05:32 +1100

 Pablo> joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in  Pablo> news:91884734.0303251646.57f7c744_at_posting.google.com:

>> Have you asked if they have to do any work like re-writing ten
>> thousand scripts that are expecting to r?

 Pablo> Wouldn't a simple 'sed' script handle the above?  -- Pablo
 Pablo> Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
 Pablo> http://www.hpdbe.com

Or even a symlink from the ssh scp to rsh and rcp.

We ONLY use ssh at our site - no telnet, no ftp and certainly no r commands.

There is nothing I know of that requires Oracle to use r commands - as far as I know, Oracle doesn't even know anything about r commands.

There are only two reasons I can think of why your developers might think only r commands will work

  1. they have lots of scripts which have r commands hard coded in them. The symlink solution will likely overcome this if properly configured.
  2. Your developers just don't understand ssh/scp and are under some misconception on why they won[t work.

I'd suggest finding out exactly what their reasoning is and see how valid it is. Maybe post their reason here and we can either support or discount it.

Tim

--
Tim Cross