Re: Off Topic : VNC

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:10:22 +0000

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> ...saved it, rebooted the machine, and connected. Guess what? I get twm.
>
> At the command prompt, I type in "exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc", and Lo!
> Gnome starts. In other words, I can *still* run anything I want manually,
> but can't get it to do it automatically when I connect from a VNCviewer.

If that's happening, then the xstartup script for VNC is not running, or you're editing the wrong one...? This is just very weird Howard.

The vncserver command is a perl job. It looks at "$ENV{HOME}/.vnc" and if it does not exist, creates it.

What is $HOME in your session? What happens in you delete the .vnc dir? (it should be autocreated)

Next, if the xstartup file does not exist, it is also created - with the contents as I posted in my previous response.

You can try and fix it manually. Inside the VNC session.

Here's what I just tried:

I created a VNC session that runs twm and nothing else. It's a blank screen when I view the session. Not even a xterm. Right click and from the menu I select xterm.

In xterm, I do a ps -ef | grep twm to get the PID of my twm. I kill it. The twm window is now gone (i.e. the xterm is now windowless but still working). Now I start KDE by typing in startkde. KDE loads fine.

I logout of KDE. Back in the windowless xterm. I type gnome-session. Gnome loads fine.

You can also do this from a telnet session. Export DISPLAY to match the VNC server display number, e.g.
export DISPLAY=:1

No need to specify the IP or hostname of the display, as it is local.

If you still have problems Howard, I do not mind if you use the backchannel and contact me directly.

--
Billy