slow backups - faster ploy?

From: Tim Smith <timasmith_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Mar 2003 18:32:37 -0800

Hi,

   Currently, on VMS, the hot backup - direct to tape 160GB takes around 22 hours. This is a 7.3.3.6 database (yes I know we are upgrading).

   We can provide enough disk space to backup to disk and then to tape. I did a script and can probably do a complete backup, in parallel to disks in under 8 hours.

   Do you think it is worth the effort to validate and test this new script and then backup from disk to tape? Although we may not have more backups - at least the backups running during the day to tape would be on unused disks - how much do you think this will improve overall performance?

   In a month or so we will be on 8.1.7 and will work on using RMAN - with RMAN is it possible to do the same strategy - multiple backups to different disks?

thanks!

Tim Received on Tue Mar 25 2003 - 20:32:37 CST