Re: Installing Oracle on uncertified Linux, like Debian, Download RedHat, Gentoo ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 07:38:36 +1100

These are the results of the Australian Jury:

Hope that means something to you! (PS. I have 1 GB RAM on this box, hence the max seg size setting... about 50% of physical RAM).

Regards
HJR "Guido Stepken" <stepken_at_little-idiot.de> wrote in message news:b5p62h$tgv$02$1_at_news.t-online.com...
> [...]
> max number of arrays = 128
> max semaphores per array = 250
> max semaphores system wide = 32000
> max ops per semop call = 32
> semaphore max value = 32767
>
> ----- Nachrichten: Grenzen -----
> max queues system wide = 16
> max size of message (bytes) = 8192
> default max size of queue (bytes) = 16384
>
> [userxy_at_redtux userxy]$
>

> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> > Here's how I install on Red Hat 8.0 (being a mere former Windows user,
some
> > of this might not be as elegant as a 'real' Linux user might prefer)>
> >
> > 1. Install Red Hat 8.0 with options for Gnome development, X development
and
> > Kernel development selected.
> >
> > 2. When installed, use the GUI tool to create a user 'Oracle', and a
group
> > called 'dba'. Make 'Oracle' a member of the dba group.
> >
> > 3. Log in as root, and edit /etc/rc.local. Add the lines: "cd
> > /proc/sys/kernel" and "cat 250 32000 100 128 > sem" to the end of the
file
> > (without the quotes, obviously). That gets the kernel right for future
box
> > bounces, but to get it right, right now, for this installation, also as
root
> > open a terminal window and do a cd /proc/sys/kernel and cat 250 32000
100
> > 128 > sem.
> >
> > 4. Create the file locations and get permissions correct (still logged
in
> > as root):
> > $ mkdir /opt/bin
> > $ chown oracle:dba /opt/bin
> > $ mkdir /u01
> > $ mkdir /u01/app
> > $ mkdir /u01/app/oracle
> > $ mkdir /u01/app/oracle/9i
> > $ chown -R oracle:dba /u01/app/oracle
> >
> > 5. Download the three cpio files from technet.oracle.com, and save them
in
> > the / directory (still logged in as root!!). Then:
> >
> > $ cpio -idmv < Linux9i_Disk1.cpio
> > $ cpio -idmv < Linux9i_Disk2.cpio
> > $ cpio -idmv < Linux9i_Disk3.cpio
> >
> > (file names on the right-hand side of the "<" might vary, but you get
the
> > idea). That creates you directories called "Disk1", "Disk2" and "Disk3",
> > which means the installation should proceed without the need to swap CDs
or
> > otherwise intervene. For good measure, chown dba:oracle /Disk1, chown
> > dba:oracle /Disk2 and chown dba:oracle /Disk3.
> >
> > 6. Log in as Oracle. Get your environment variables correct. Edit the
> > ..bashrc file in your home directory so it reads:
> >
> > export ORACLE_SID=db9
> > export ORACLE_BASE=/u01/app/oracle
> > export ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/9i
> > export NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1
> > export ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data
> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib

PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:/opt/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X
> > 11R6/bin:/usr/local/java/bin:.
> > export PATH
> > export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java

CLASSPATH=$ORACLE_HOME/jdbc/lib/classes12.zip:$ORACLE_HOME/JRE:$ORACLE_HOME/