Re: Analyzing indexes

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: 25 Mar 2003 17:34:38 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in news:pan.2003.03.11.19.53.03.636123_at_yahoo.com.au:

> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:38:05 +0000, Chuck wrote:
>

>> I need to determine whether or not a couple of indexes need to be
>> rebuilt.

> They almost certainly won't be!
>
> What makes you think they might need it? If this is an index on a
> monotonically incrementing sequence number, and you've been doing
> sporadic deletes of table records with low sequence numbers, then yes,
> you might have a need.

Just the fact that I reorged them once last summer and saw dramatic performance increases on queries involving the indexes in question. That was the first reorg in 18 months. These are indexes on sequential numbers and yes we bulk purge older rows (ie. lower sequence #'s) from the indexed table. Received on Tue Mar 25 2003 - 11:34:38 CST