Re: Automating oracle Installation: How change default PFILE parameters?

From: Carlo Sirna <carlo.sirna_at_digisoft.it>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:36:49 +0100

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> ha scritto nel messaggio news:v7jc8v9lnlp0d5_at_corp.supernews.com...

> "Carlo Sirna" <carlo.sirna_at_digisoft.it> wrote in message
> > Hi, what I want is to create an oracle installation cd that asks
> > absolutely no questions to the end user.
>

> This is NOT going to work EVER.
>

> Prepare to end up in hell or in court. whichever you prefer

I actually don't understand this stupid aggression.

 If you would have read the whole message before starting to snort like a raging bull, maybe you would have understood that the point of concern is that the oracle installer does not allow me at all to write a response file that sets the following parameters (in oracle 8.1.7)

max_enabled_roles=148
QUERY_REWRITE_ENABLED=TRUE
QUERY_REWRITE_INTEGRITY=TRUSTED
NLS_SORT=BINARY
STAR_TRANSFORMATION_ENABLED=TRUE
JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES = 10 And this is the only thing I was complaining about in the "response file" solution for automatic installations.

Since :

  1. will have customers spread all over Europe
  2. when we are lucky, the "computer guy" of our customers is the one who knows how to format a diskette
  3. usually, it is sufficent the symcjit.dll incompatibility with the pentium 4 processors to make them upset
  4. they speak a different language than mine
  5. they use windows clients than run a different language than mine
  6. the oracle installer, on their PCs, runs in a different language than on mine...
  7. it usually takes 2 hours to explain them how to download and install a VNC server in order to execute the installation process by myself
  8. many of them do not even have a reliable modem (!) access to the internet

I simply want to find a way to give them some install instructions that won't be more complicated than:

  1. insert the install CD
  2. press OK
  3. press OK
  4. press OK
  5. have a beer.

Maybe I will have to explain that "OK" refers to a button drawn on the screen and not to an actual key on the keyboard, but this is a stress I can handle... Some pick up the phone even because the instructions mentioned a "OK" button, and the only available button was "Continue", if this can give you a better idea...

 so, is it there a way of solving this problem?

  (a LEGAL way, i mean, for those who feel their blood pressure raising)

Thanks.

  Carlo Sirna
  Digisoft s.r.l. Received on Tue Mar 25 2003 - 09:36:49 CST