Re: Installing Oracle on uncertified Linux, like Debian, Download Red Hat, Gentoo ?

From: Guido Stepken <stepken_at_little-idiot.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:52:18 +0100

Good evening, Norman !

[userxy_at_redtux userxy]$ more .bashrc
# .bashrc

# User specific aliases and functions

# Source global definitions
if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then

         . /etc/bashrc
fi
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/bin/ [userxy_at_redtux userxy]$

Thats the trick, how to get java 1.4 running on Linux after installing it with rpm -i .....

Oracle seems to be independent from the kernel version, because of /boot/System.map, where all functions for glibc are mapped. More important are perhaps some oracle patches, which seem to be included in redhat 8.0, because it runs stable. Maybe, oracle has inlined those routines into the binary.
Most important seems to be kernel tuning. Shared memory for better communication between client and server, file-max for more filehandles , and perhaps nr-max (number of childs per process) has to be set with sysctl or echo "11111" > /proc/sys/fs/file-max ...

Any complete list of tuning parameters out there ?

Seems, that some Linux distributions have theses parameters compiled into the kernel. Funny, that only NT Datacenter is unlimited, all other NT versions are cut-down, like NT Server to 1500 file-handles, NT Workstation to 150 and 5 network-handles. Even Sun Solaris untuned is limited to about 1500 file-handles.

Any registry patches out there to make NT Workstation unlimited ?

regards, Guido Stepken