Off Topic : VNC

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:37:25 +1100

Well, it's not totally off-topic.

My Red Hat box is chugging away as my Oracle server, but I want to tuck it away out of site (out of sound, actually, as it's an Athlon with a rather, er, 'rumbustious' cooling fan. It must be cleared for departure by now, and ready for take-off!).

So I stick VNC on it, and a viewer on my nice-and-quiet Pentium PC, and I can connect, and do stuff. And I'm happy it works. But I'm not happy that VNC displays what must be the most minimalist Windows Manager ever to grace the face of the planet... twm. Yuck.

So I trawl through Google, and get all sorts of cryptic advice about getting something more decent on display. So, sure enough, I discover a .vnc sub-directory in my home directory, and within that there surely is a script called xstartup, and in there I replace 'twm' with 'enlightenment' or 'startkde' or any other thing I can think of... and none of it makes the slightest bit of difference. Back on the client PC, I still get yucky twm.

What am I doing wrong, please? If anyone is administering a Unix or Linux box remotely with VNC, and using a decent windows manager to do it, please let me know how you managed it!!

(In case this makes a difference, I've got an rc5.d script that invokes the vncserver application so that the vnc server starts automatically at boot. I thought perhaps this might mean there's *another* .vnc directory floating around the place, meaning I've spent two hours editing the wrong one, and hence the change-less behaviour. But if there is, I can't find it).

Not truly Oracle, I grant you, so please feel free to ignore. But any help granted by Linux-aware Oracle Gurus gratefully received.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Mar 24 2003 - 19:37:25 CST