Re: upgrade from 8.1.6 to 8.1.7

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:45:57 GMT

Laura wrote:

> I create a new home for oracle 8.1.7 and I have an old directory for
> oracle 8.1.6. Now I work with oracle 8.1.7 and my question is:can I
> drop all the contents of oracle 8.1.6 directory?Or there is a part of
> the software 8.1.6 that is necessary to make work also the version
> 8.1.7??Thank You so much
>
> Laura Puccica

In theory the versions are totally isolated using ORACLE_HOME and you should be able to remove the 8.1.6 stuff without any hesitation.

In practise however, you may have some environment variables stuck in place that still point to the old 8.1.6 environment. In a Windows environment, check your variables and registry; UNIX/Linux, check you environment (eg: set | more or set | grep 8.1.6).

Nine times out of ten, there will be no problem in simply using the Oracle installer to dump 8.1.6 and then removing the ORACLE_HOME directory. The tenth time (usually due to some stupid and undocumented emergency change in production) ...... Because of this, I usually end up simply renaming the O_H directory out of the way for about a week. If I understand all the resultig error messages and cries for help, then I feel comfortable in blowing it away (after appropriate backup)

HTH
/Hans Received on Mon Mar 24 2003 - 10:45:57 CST