Re: upgrade from 8.1.6 to 8.1.7

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:11:22 +0000

Laura wrote:

> I create a new home for oracle 8.1.7 and I have an old directory for
> oracle 8.1.6. Now I work with oracle 8.1.7 and my question is:can I
> drop all the contents of oracle 8.1.6 directory?Or there is a part of
> the software 8.1.6 that is necessary to make work also the version
> 8.1.7??Thank You so much

In theory, yes. In practise, not always. :-)

For some very obscure reason when I did something similar, the perl stuff some developers wrote stopped working. Perl-DBI is dynamically linking to some Ora 815 shared object lib for which the Ora 817 counterpart does not work.

The best to do is to simply rename the ORACLE_HOME for the old version. This should suffice as a check if any existing software fails because the old version is no longer available. If not, delete it. And keep the old version install CD's around just in case.

--
Billy