Installing Oracle on uncertified Linux, like Debian, Download Red Hat, Gentoo ?

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:06:00 -0000

Morning Guido,

I've just installed Oracle 9i release 2 Enterprise Edition on Mandrake 9.0.
Standard Kernel - can't remember what version off hand as I have to use Windows at work.
Standard GCC and GLIBC etc.

All I had to do was set some parameters for kernel in
/proc/sys/kernel/sem and /proc/sys/fs/file-max and
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/some_file_or_other and set this up in /etc/rc.local
to be done every reboot.

I didn't have to install any Java run times - I just let the installer use the versions it had on the Oracle Cds.

Easy peasy.

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar