Looking for a way to implement SQL-92 Domain

From: John Bossert <jbossert_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 02:07:30 GMT

I have a slew of tiny look-up tables (2-5 rows) that I'd like to consolidate into a single table {domain, code, look-up-value}, and then have a CHECK constraint that does a select against a view that filters the particular domain value.

Then it's pointed out to me that Oracle doesn't permit a check constraint to reference another table.

Is there a relatively clean way of doing this? I know I could do it with triggers, but I'm concerned that I'm merely replacing complexity with another form of complexity.

--
John Bossert

In what concerns you much, do not think that you
have companions: know that you are alone in the world.

             -- Henry David Thoreau