Re: URGENT: ORA-01554 upon startup

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Mar 2003 16:09:17 -0800

"Anton Buijs" <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl> wrote in message news:<3e78a7cd$0$49103$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl>...
> I would seriously push Oracle support to solve this because data loss is
> very very bad news for them and should never never occur. They must be able
> to find a reason as a minimum.
> Because your backup strategy looks like the way it should be done.

Do you realize you are saying "an export-only backup strategy is the way it should be done?" That is very wrong.

There have been some reports of this slots thing happening even though it was supposedly fixed as a bug in 8.0.5.mumble. Certainly if you are using optimal on RBS's, turn it off or make optimal big. See all the experts web sites explanations of rollback segments and transaction slots (particularly http://www.ixora.com.au and http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/#Index ). The OP's problem is quite probably related to a large number of concurrent transactions happening during a very long-running transaction, which requires some advanced DBA analysis (if it isn't just a bug or known RBS, um, "issue"), probably having to do with getting those long-running transactions away from the larger volume of transactions, or getting a newer version of Oracle.

Of course, Oracle did offer to get the data unlost... at a price.

> | Anyway, time to take a second look at our backup strategy.
> | We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes
> | remove NSPAM to email

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  "If you can't explain it in five sentences to a
ten-year-old, you don't understand it yourself." - David Brin.  Of