Re: Oracle Server Lock-ups

From: DP <dposey_at_mw-inc.com>
Date: 21 Mar 2003 10:32:31 -0800

Thanks for your helpfull reply. I think I have found the problem.

:)

"Telemachus" <telemachus_at_ulysseswillreturn.net> wrote in message news:<kEnea.3850$pK2.4120_at_news.indigo.ie>...
> Oracle does not normally display this behaviour out of the box.
> I am running 9202 on a MUCH smaller box than you are with none of these
> issues.
>

> Can you connect at the server itself via SQL*Plus ?
>

> What did you use to stop the Oracle Service ?

This first time since I couldn't connect with anything I didn't know what else to do except try to stop it with windows "Computer Management". I didn't try to kill it with "Task Mangager".

The second time I connected with a new copy of SQL*Plus and did a shutdown immediate.

> what does tnsping give from the clients
>
> what's the output from
> lsnrctl status on the server ?

I didn't try either. In the first case those may have been helpful. When I can successfully connect and select I'm not sure why those would help?

> > Clients can connect and select, but lock up at first
> > attempt to update or append (I didn't try delete). This behavior was
> > duplicated with SQL-Plus
>

> well what locked up the first time if not SQL*plus ?

Custom program making OCI calls. Since I my first inclination was to blame myself I immediately double checked with SQL*Plus.

> Are any errors reported in the Alert log ?

Yes...Thank you very much! It wasn't an a standard error with the "ORA-" prefix but here it is:

Thread 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence 23 All online logs needed archiving

I'm sure the setting that is missing is: LOG_ARCHIVE_START = TRUE But I'm going to research the who Archive log thing before assuming that this is the only thing.

DP Received on Fri Mar 21 2003 - 12:32:31 CST