Re: a performance question

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:39:19 -0800

Jay wrote:

> I have a table that has about 100,000 records. The primary key has type of
> number. When I did a 'update column=value where primary_key > number and
> primary < number (about 100 records), it took about 15 minutes. Our database
> server is a capable machine and this slow update is totally upacceptible.
> After we dropped the table and recreated it, the same update took less than
> 1 second. I am wondering what change within the datase has made the huge
> performance difference. Thanks.
>
> Jay

What platform and operating system?
What version and edition of Oracle?
RBO or CBO?
If CBO are there current statistics?
What size table? How many records?
Either way any indexes corresponding to the WHERE clause? Presumably there are if there is a PK constraint ... but I've seen these assumed when they were not actually there.
EXPLAIN PLAN and TKPROF should be part of any tuning

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Mar 21 2003 - 10:39:19 CST