Re: Dead Connection Detection (DCD) on win nt system

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 17:09:51 +0100

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:51:38 +0100, "Bud Socks" <bud_socks_at_gmx.de> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>according to Oracle note # 151972.1 DCD does not work on windows nt systems
>(for my understandings)
>
>"...Dead connections are cleaned up only when the server is rebooted and the
>database is restarted..."
>It is further stated in this note: to find out how well DCD works on NT
>depends on the client`s
>protocol implementation.
>What does that mean ? For my opinion the DCD does not work at all if the
>server has to be rebooted ! Or
>is it just a question of configuration ? As i mentioned - we are talking
>about windows nt systems.
>

>Thank you
>
>Bud

Don't know that particular note, but I remember seeing a note before WinXP you can allocate 16 timers per process only. As all sessions run as a thread within one single process this is a severe limitation. So before WinXP, enabling DCD on NT is pretty useless, unless you won't have more than 16 connections ever.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Mar 21 2003 - 10:09:51 CST