DMT and LMT

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:20:08 -0000

Hi Hanne,

your error 'ORA-12913 Cannot create dictionary managed tablespace' shows that you have a SYSTEM tablespace which is LMT and thus you are not allowed to have any other tablespaces which are DMT. 9i Release 2 methinks !

>> The system tablespace was LMT, and the import was full=y,
>> but the tablespace was createt before the import was started.

This implies that your import is trying to create a new tablespace - although you say that you have tried pre-creating tablespaces and users, so, something in the import file needs a tablespace that you don't have. Because you are doing a full import, you will be importing all users in the dump file, not just the one(s) you want. This will cause tablespaces and users to be created on the fly for any that don't already exist. NEVER, in normal circumstances, do a full import especially when importing a customer dump. (My opinion only, not Oracle advice !)

To avoid this, do the following :

        When you get a dump from the customer, find out which user's data you really want to import.

        Once you have identified a user in the dumpfile, identify on in the database to import into.

        If not already done, create a tablespace and user to import into, set quotas for the user on the tablespace.

        Import specifying FROMUSER and TOUSER which should avoid creating any new tablespaces.

I have a customer who instists on doing a FULL export and then telling me that the user they exported is SYS. I have to scan the dumpfile for a connect and extract the username from that and then only import that user into my database. I have a new blank user ready and waiting for the data and I just 'imp system/password fromuser=customer touser=my_user file=blah ignore=yes commit=yes buffer=2048000' and the one user in the very large file they sent me is imported. No tablespaces get created so no ORA-12913 errors.

Trust me, doing it this way saves time on imports. If your import of a full dump file takes 10 hours then you could be importing 4 or 5 different users when all you want is one.

>> How did you know I was from Norway? (BTW I guess I have better
>> oppertunety to learn english then you had to learn norwegian :-D)

I knew you were Norwegian because you live in Trondheim which is in Norway.
How do I know where you live ?
From your web page :o)

Cheers,
Norman.