Re: Server Manager question

From: Ralph <rlro99_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 21 Mar 2003 02:33:56 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<5Tnea.4374$dE2.10576_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...
> "Ralph" <rlro99_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message

> the
> > >
> > > Or writing a shell script called svrmgrl as a wrapper to call SQL*Plus?
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I can see one problem with the end of svrmgrl. Reacently a couple of
> > our 8.1.7.3 instances have been killed by our ever imaginative
> > developers. Havn't yet worked out why/how... Either way, I have been
> > getting into the habit of not using svrmgrl, but when an instance gets
> > into this state sqlplus will not let you connect to the instance to
> > shutdown abort. The only way to abort the instance was to use old
> > school svrmgrl. Anybody else come across this? Maybe Oracle 9i wont
> > get itself into this sort of state...;)
> >

> > Laters
> >
> > Ralph
>
> First, sqlplus *does* let you connect to a stuffed instance, provided you
> attempt the connection as a privileged user (ie, connect ... as sysdba). In
> 8.1.6 I recall occasions when that little bit of (rather core!)
> functionality didn't work reliably, but as far as I can tell the problem was
> fixed completely by 8.1.7.
>
> Secondly, if you are truly desperate to use svrmgrl, then you can use the 8i
> version of said program to connect to 9i instances. It's totally unsupported
> to do so, and I haven't done it with 9iR2, but it worked in 9iR1.
>
> Regards
> HJR
When I was trying to connect to my stuffed 8.1.7.3 instance I was using the following

sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

to connect and it was this that was failing to connect. Maybe this behaves differently to

sqlplus /nolog
then
connect / as sysdba

But seeing as the developers haven't managed to stuff any of my instances today I'll have to wait and see...

Cheers

Ralph Received on Fri Mar 21 2003 - 04:33:56 CST