Re: Oracle 9.2.0.1 Patch to 9.2.0.2

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 05:52:25 GMT

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 18:54:13 -0800, DA Morgan wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>

>> Have you checked up to see if the 9.2.0.3 patchset is out yet?
>>
>> I just used this patch for Solaris.
>>
>> "Khalid Eidoo" <someone_at_somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm about to install Oracle 9.2.0.1 and the 9.2.0.2 patchset on a test
>> linux
>> > server. My plan is to install 9.2.0.1, software only (and only standard
>> > edition). Afterwards, I will go ahead with the upgrade to 9.2.0.2.
>> Assuming
>> > create databases (and listeners) after 9.2.0.2 has been installed, I
>> assume
>> > I wont't need to perform any of the 'startup migrate' scripts afterwards.
>> > Can anyone confirm/refute this assumption?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Khalid.
>> >

> 9.2.0.3 is not yet available for Windows.
>
> Daniel Morgan

Oracle 9i Release 2 Database Server Patch Set 2 for Windows

Patch Set Notes
Patch Set version 9.2.0.3.0
This note accompanies the 9.2.0.3.0 patch set for the Oracle Database Server. It includes patches for the RDBMS , PL/SQL, Precompilers, Networking, Oracle Text (formerly interMedia Text), JDBC, JavaVM, XML Developers Kit, Oracle 9i Globalization, Oracle Core, Ultrasearch, Spatial, SQL*Plus, SQLJ, JPublisher, Intermedia, OLAP ,Oracle Internet Directory, Oracle XDK and Oracle Intelligent Agent products. This is not a complete software distribution and you must install it over an existing 9i Release 2 Oracle Server installation.

Post Release Issues
Issues that are discovered after release of this patch set are documented on the Oracle Metalink website. Customers should check here for the latest status prior to installing this patch set in a production environment.

To see the latest Status and Alerts for this patch set, please read Doc.Id: 189908.1 available through Metalink.To find this document on Metalink, after logging in, simply type 189908.1 in the search field and click on the 'Search' Button .

Customers unable to utilize this Web site should contact Oracle Support. Document History
Date
Change description

28-Jan-2003 First Generic Version
18-Feb-2003 First Windows Version
27-Feb-2003 Second Windows version
07-Mar-2003 Release Candidate #1
15-Mar-2003 Release Version

Patch Set README Contents
This patch set note contains the following information:

System Requirements
This patch set has the following system requirements: Item Requirement
Hardware Platform Intel Pentium
Operating System Windows 2000(Service Pack 2), Windows NT 4.0 , Windows 98(Client only), Windows XP Pro RDBMS Baseline Release 9.2.0.1.0
Important Notes

     Database Migration
     Applying Patch Sets with Physical or Logical Standby Databases
     Streams
     Oracle Data Guard
     XML DB
     Java VM and XML DB Requirements
     Oracle Text INSO updates
     Intermedia Upgrade
     Oracle AQ
     New Oracle Event in 9.2.0.3
     JDBC Thin Driver
     Oracle XDK
     Oracle Transparent Gateway
     Oracle Fail Safe
     OLAP Option

Database Migration

# If you are an Oracle Applications customer wishing to upgrade your Oracle Applications Release 11i Database Server to this patch set, please check for the latest certification status and for Interoperability Notes on Metalink # All other customers wanting to upgrade their databases directly to this patch set should read the 'Migrating Directly to an 9i Release 2 Patch Set' Notes available on Metalink under Document 214887.1

     There is  a generic issue only applicable to the migration mode (i.e. alter database open
     migrate.)

     During upgrade from 9201->9202/9203 running  catpatch.sql  can take a long time  if
     there are stats for the SYS schema.

     The user should delete the statistics on all the objects in the SYS
     schema, and then re-collect the statistics after normal database open if necessary.

     To drop and recreate the statistics, execute the following procedures:
     dbms_stats.delete_schema_stats('SYS');
     dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats('SYS');

Applying Patch Sets with Physical or Logical Standby Databases in place

# For information on how to apply a patchset to your current release of Oracle for a configuration that includes one or more physical standby databases please see notes available on Metalink under document 187242.1. This information only applies to release 9.0.1 and higher installations of Oracle on UNIX.

# For information on how to apply a patchset to your current release of Oracle for a configuration that includes one or more logical standby databases please see notes available on Metalink under document 210989.1. This information only applies to release 9.2.0 and higher installations of Oracle on UNIX.

Streams

# All Databases Using Streams Must Be Upgraded to version 9.2.0.2 or higher

All databases that use any of the features of Oracle Streams must be upgraded to version 9.2.0.2 or higher of Oracle. Interoperation between version 9.2.0.1 and version 9.2.0.2 is not supported for databases using Streams features. # Database Configuration for Streams Capture

The optional capture process of Oracle Streams requires that the SHARED_POOL_SIZE initialization parameter be set to a minimum value of 100 MB and that the database be running in ARCHIVELOG mode. # Capture "Invalid Dictionary Error"

The first capture process created on a database builds the Streams dictionary. If this initial dictionary build is interrupted, an error indicating that the dictionary is invalid may occur. The typical cause of an interrupted dictionary build is a shutdown abort operation. All other shutdown modes will wait for the dictionary build to complete. If you encounter this error, drop and recreate the capture process. # JMS Types and XML Types

JMS Types and XMLType access to the Streams queue table is not enabled by default to minimize the impact of bug 2248652 that causes export of the Streams queue table to fail. Users can enable this access by calling the DBMS_AQADM.ENABLE_JMS_TYPES(queue_table) procedure, where the VARCHAR2 parameter queue_table is the name of the queue table. This procedure should be invoked after the call to DBMS_STREAMS_ADM.SET_UP_QUEUE. Databases dependent on the Export utility as their backup strategy should avoid enabling this access. # Streams Wizard in Oracle Enterprise Manager

When using the Oracle Streams Wizard, through OMS or in standalone mode, to configure replication, the generated scripts are incorrect and may produce errors such as "ORA-26687 Instantiation SCN not set" or "ORA-1403 no data found" (bugs 2301915, 2318295 and 2326341). Please contact Oracle Support Services for an Enterprise Manager and Oracle Management Server patch that will produce the correct scripts. Use the bug numbers listed above as a patch reference. # Function-Based and Descending Indexes and Capture Processes

A capture process cannot capture changes made to tables that use function-based or descending indexes. If a capture process tries > to capture a change to a table that uses a function-based or descending index, then it writes the LCR that caused the error into its trace file, raises an ORA-00902 error, and becomes disabled. # Streams Support for CLOB Datatypes

Streams support for CLOB datatypes in multibyte character sets is limited to non-variable size multibyte character sets. If the character set uses a variable-width multibyte encoding scheme, then Streams does not support CLOB datatypes. See the Oracle9i Database Globalization Support Guide for additional information about encoding schemes. # Oracle to Non-Oracle Heterogeneous Information Sharing

Currently, Oracle Streams supports Oracle to non-Oracle heterogeneous information sharing only with the following Oracle Transparent Gateways: > >

      The DBMS_LOGSTDBY package is case sensitive. Be careful to use the correct case when supplying schema and tables names to the DBMS_LOGSTDBY package. For example, the following statements show incorrect and correct syntax for a SKIP
      procedure that skips changes to OE.TEST.

      Incorrect statement:

execute dbms_logstdby.skip(’DML’, ’oe’, ’test’, null);

      Because the names are specified with lowercase characters, the transactions that update these columns will still be applied to the logical standby database.

And it goes on and on. That is a README.html for 9.2.0.3.0 for Win 2k server. Download it from Metalink. Patch is available.

--
Mladen Gogala

Light travels faster than sound.
That is why some people appear bright