Re: Next extent size - Locally managed tablespace

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:09:45 +0800

Rogbaker wrote:

> Oracle 8.1.7 on windows 2000:
> Tables that I create in a tablespace that is defined as "Locally
> Managed Extent Management" and has "Automatic Allocation" have a NEXT
> extent size set to 0 (zero) no matter what I try to set it to. What
> does this '0' mean exactly, is this bad? Should I be using Dictionary
> managed extent management?
> THanks,
> Roger

It means (roughly) you'll get

16 extents of 64k, then
120 of 1m, then
64 of 8m, then
64m extents from there on

(or thereabouts, can't remember the numbers exactly, and there are variations as well)

the next extent is not listed because its not "known" until the time comes to add it.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"