Re: Oracle Server Lock-ups

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:43:07 -0800

DP wrote:
> Help! While waiting for real server hardware to arrive I have
> installed Oracle server on workstation hardware for limited
> beta/training purposes. Already in one week I have had 4 lockups.
>
> I would *like* to beleive that this is a problem with Oracle running
> on simple hardware and will go away once we get the real server, but I
> don't beleive it. Is this a known problem? Is there some important
> setting that the default install doesn't do?
>
> Software: Fresh install of Windows 2000 server. Fresh install of
> Oracle 9i release 2.
>
> Hardware: Compaq Evo. Single 2.0 gHz CPU. 768 MB RAM. Single 40 GB
> hard disk. On board video :(.
>
> 1st lockup: Server was idle (no connections). I tried to connect
> from a single client. The client locked up during connect. I tried
> from 2 additional client machines using SQL-Plus. They also locked up
> during connect. I tried to stop the Oracle service on the server. It
> wouldn't stop. (The windows server seemed to be running fine except
> for this. No CPU usage by oracle client. No hard disk activity.) I
> restarted Windows box (nicely). Windows went down very quickly (no
> usual delay associated with a service not responding). Each of the
> clients still open reported a network error during connect. When the
> server came back each client machine connected normally.
>
> 2nd lockup: Clients can connect and select, but lock up at first
> attempt to update or append (I didn't try delete). This behavior was
> duplicated with SQL-Plus. Since this time I could connect with
> SQL-Plus I tried a shutdown immediate. SQL-Plus locked up during this
> command. Each client that was locked up remained locked up. Any new
> client connections failed during connect reporting correctly that a
> shutdown was in progress. Again with restarting the windows on the
> server each client came back to life reporting network connection
> issues.
>
> 3rd & 4th lockups: I did not witness them, but reportedly the same as
> the Second.
>

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> DP

You have a problem.
You have no idea what is causing the problem. Therefore you jump to the conclusion that Oracle is broken; because "obviously" you have done nothing wrong.

Are there any messages in the alterSID.log file which indicate if Oracle is having known difficulties? Received on Thu Mar 20 2003 - 19:43:07 CST