Re: Data Warehouses

From: Joseph Wilson <me_at_home.now>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 00:28:02 GMT

Thank you both for your reply. I am glad to hear that this is feasible. I am currently in the process of reading the "Data Warehouse Toolkit" book to get a handle on the proper schema for this data. I've done quite a bit of research so far, and I'll definitely check out the oracle guide for data warehousing.

One thing that makes the data I'm working with kind of unique is that not only does each row have a unique identifier, there are a variable number of numeric items after the unique identifier per row. The numeric items can be numbered 1 through 999. So I'm thus far planning to put the numeric items and their numbered offset in the fact table with an fk relationship to the unique row identifier in a dimension table. There are other dimension tables, but those are trivial. The problem happens when each of these unique identifiers themselves can become large in volume. Like I said, there will be about 1 million of these unique identifier, and then a variable number of numeric items tied to these unique identifiers. Reports on the data will typically use some info from the other trivial dimensions tables, then variations on the unique identifier, returning aggregations of the numeric items per row.

I'm hoping I come to a similar type of data in the above referenced book, but have not so far. Have you seen something similar to this before?

Joe