Re: Next extent size - Locally managed tablespace

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:19:13 -0600

On 20 Mar 2003 07:32:07 -0800, Rogbaker_at_gdi.net (Rogbaker) wrote:

>Oracle 8.1.7 on windows 2000:
>Tables that I create in a tablespace that is defined as "Locally
>Managed Extent Management" and has "Automatic Allocation" have a NEXT
>extent size set to 0 (zero) no matter what I try to set it to. What
>does this '0' mean exactly, is this bad? Should I be using Dictionary
>managed extent management?
>THanks,
>Roger

From Oracle8i Concepts:

For system-managed extents, you can specify the size of the initial extent and Oracle determines the optimal size of additional extents, with a minimum extent size of 64 KB. This is the default for permanent tablespaces.

For uniform extents, you can specify an extent size or use the default size, which is 1 MB. Temporary tablespaces that manage their extents locally can only use this type of allocation.

The storage parameters NEXT, PCTINCREASE, MINEXTENTS, MAXEXTENTS, and DEFAULT STORAGE are not valid for extents that are managed locally. -- end quote --

Notice especially the last paragraph. I'd assume that since these parms are not valid for LMT, but the fields still exist in the dictionary, they'd have to have SOME value. Zero sounds good. As to your question of "should I use Dictionary mangaged extent management", why ride a dead horse. LMT makes the DBA's job much easier, and Oracle has already indicated that DMT days are numbered. Received on Thu Mar 20 2003 - 10:19:13 CST