Oracle Server Lock-ups

From: DP <dposey_at_mw-inc.com>
Date: 20 Mar 2003 08:47:39 -0800

Help! While waiting for real server hardware to arrive I have installed Oracle server on workstation hardware for limited beta/training purposes. Already in one week I have had 4 lockups.

I would *like* to beleive that this is a problem with Oracle running on simple hardware and will go away once we get the real server, but I don't beleive it. Is this a known problem? Is there some important setting that the default install doesn't do?

Software: Fresh install of Windows 2000 server. Fresh install of Oracle 9i release 2.

Hardware: Compaq Evo. Single 2.0 gHz CPU. 768 MB RAM. Single 40 GB hard disk. On board video :(.

1st lockup: Server was idle (no connections). I tried to connect from a single client. The client locked up during connect. I tried from 2 additional client machines using SQL-Plus. They also locked up during connect. I tried to stop the Oracle service on the server. It wouldn't stop. (The windows server seemed to be running fine except for this. No CPU usage by oracle client. No hard disk activity.) I restarted Windows box (nicely). Windows went down very quickly (no usual delay associated with a service not responding). Each of the clients still open reported a network error during connect. When the server came back each client machine connected normally.

2nd lockup: Clients can connect and select, but lock up at first attempt to update or append (I didn't try delete). This behavior was duplicated with SQL-Plus. Since this time I could connect with SQL-Plus I tried a shutdown immediate. SQL-Plus locked up during this command. Each client that was locked up remained locked up. Any new client connections failed during connect reporting correctly that a shutdown was in progress. Again with restarting the windows on the server each client came back to life reporting network connection issues.

3rd & 4th lockups: I did not witness them, but reportedly the same as the Second.

Any help would be appreciated.

DP Received on Thu Mar 20 2003 - 10:47:39 CST