Re: ORA-01033 ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:42:35 -0800

Telemachus wrote:

> ISSUE ORADIM - SHUTDOWN -SID <XXXXX>
> then
>
> oradim - startup -sid <xxxx>
>
> if sqlnet.ora does not have the NTS line then you will have to use server
> manager to start it then in the normal fashion.
> "Kalle" <kminerva_at_jippii.fi> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > check the oracle process and try delete that
> >
> > HTH
> > Kalle
> >
> > Bruce wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am running Oracle Server 8.1.7 in Win2000 normally,
> > > but after power is cut off suddenly,
> > > i am encountering Oracle error message, ORA-01033 ORACLE initialization
> or
> > > shutdown in progress, while i use "sqlplus" or "DBA Studio" to connect
> > > Oracle.
> > >
> > > I try to use svrmgrl
> > > svrmgrl> connect internal;
> > > svrmgrl> shutdown abort;
> > > svrmgrl> startup;
> > >
> > > but result is the same, ORA-01033 ORACLE initialization or shutdown in
> > > progress.
> > >
> > > Any tips or recommendations?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Bruce

Based on my experience that may not work though I'd try it. My suspicion is that more likely the following will be required.

oradim -delete -sid <sid_name>

oradim -new -sid <sid_name> -intpwd <password> startmode a -pfile <path and name of init.ora>

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Mar 20 2003 - 10:42:35 CST