Re: slow query - index usage question

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:51:53 +1100

"Telemachus" <telemachus_at_ulysseswillreturn.net> wrote in message news:nEgea.3713$pK2.4111_at_news.indigo.ie...

> I knew that JL had said this, and that ALSO TK had said the other. BUT I
> don't want to get in the middle.

Probably wise!

> My own opinion is they're directives as to which choice to take iff a
> choice exists. Otherwise how could plan stability in stored outlines be
> guaranteed ?

Exactly. If you have a choice between a full scan, or access via Index A, an index hint would *force* the use of the index.

But of course, using an index hint when Index A doesn't even exist is meaningless, and quite rightly it would be ignored.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Mar 20 2003 - 04:51:53 CST