Re: RAID 0+1 and recommended stripe size

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:43:34 +0800

Bricklen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are considering upgrading one of our boxes to RAID 0+1, on linux
> (single cpu), 8.1.7 db.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good stripe size for a system that functions as a
> DSS-like system (although with regular inserts (10 mins or so apart,
> 250,000 rows))?
>
> Hopefully I haven't forgotten any critical pieces of information.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bricklen

The general consensus around the place is:

block size * multiblock read * n

where n = 1, 2, 3, ... etc

Which 'n' is best? For *your* system it could be any of them, if you can run some benchmarks you'll find the best for your system. It might match the thoughts out there in the public forums, it might not...But you will at least know thats its the best for *your* system

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"