Re: Holdable cursors in Oracle?

From: Hillel Eilat <hillel_at_attunity.co.il>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:28:11 +0200

Holdable cursors may contribute a lot for applications where massive reads are performed followed by successeive store/update operations.

For example - preparing a "cube" for OLAP/ data mining may require massive reads before a single store/update is issued.

While doing this read/update sequence repetaedly - it does make sense to commit the stored/updated data peridically.

But upon commit - cursors would be closed - unless they are holdable. So - without holdable cursors one has to keep track on the cursor position and renew it after every commit.

Yes - data integrity and stability are not maintained - but this is not the issue here.

            Hillel