Re: How to rename a schema

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 19 Mar 2003 17:46:50 -0800

"Timmy Sin" <tswsin_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<b59gr0$f51$1_at_news.hk.linkage.net>...
> Hi All,
>
> What is the fastest method to rename a schema with public synonym? The
> scenario is as follows.
>
> I have a database named dev1 with schema dev1owner. This schema owns all the
> tables. View and public synonym are created for other schema to access the
> tables.
>
> Another database dev2 is cloned from dev1. Now I want to change the schema
> dev1owner in the new database to dev2owner.
>
> Grateful if someone can give me some advice.

Besides what others posted, I'd add using public synonyms is probably a bad idea. You might want to consider writing scripts to generate private synonyms and appropriate grants for the other schemata.

You might also want to write a view that contains simply the schema name.
> Many thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Timmy

jg

--
@home is bogus.
And don't try to migrate grants and synomyms with a gui tool.