Re: Newbie has TNS listener problem

From: IKerr. <i.b.kerr.n.o-spam_at_leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:51:36 -0000

Hi Paul,

thanks for your reply. I have changed the host address to localhost & created the service as you suggested. The service OracleServicemyGlobal is now listed. I did not find an initmyGlobal.ora file, but did find

init.ora.9222002113933

so I substituted that (I may have been having problems with the startup file before I had the W2K crash as I remember having to change a startup option when booting the db). I got a few errors about exceeding the max_roles (which I never had before) and also something about insufficient privileges, restarting the enterprise manager console solved the latter and I increased max roles via the manager.

So a big "thank you" to you and all those who helped me solve this (or solved it for me ;-) !!!

Another quick question: In a while I am going to have to do a machine reinstall: what is the best way to create a backup of my db and designer repository/er diagrams, so that I can get the db back up and running again with minimum of fuss, and considering the hassle in resurrecting the db this time what config files should I also backup, init.ora, listener.ora, tnsnames.ora - what else ?

thanks

Iain Received on Wed Mar 19 2003 - 04:51:36 CST