Re: Need help modeling workflow

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:56:59 -0800

John Bossert wrote:
> I am attempting to model jobs deposited into a queue for subsequent
> processing.
>
> These jobs will possess a diverse range of relationships - some jobs
> involving customers, some with outgoing email, some with workflow. Some
> will be handled by specific users, others will be dequeued by other
> processes. Some events will spawn other events.
>
> The object-oriented (java) developers want a wide-open set of tables
> ("just give me a table with 5 nullable numeric columns and I'll figure
> out what goes in each") which just makes me cringe. At the same time,
> having a spider web of intersection tables between some "event" table
> and (many) various entities seems cumbersome.
>
> Could anyone having implemented such a system give me some suggestions?
> This will be initially implemented under 8i.
>
> Thanks,

PHEW! (I'm holding my nose.)

While you "may" understand your system (but I doubt it), I doubt that any readers understand the inputs, processes, or outputs of the "system".

Which meterics will be used to measure the success or failure of this system?

This doesn't sound like a six sigma software development project to me.

I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that this project won't be delivered on time or meeting all its requirements. Received on Tue Mar 18 2003 - 19:56:59 CST