Re: Newbie has TNS listener problem

From: IKerr. <i.b.kerr.n.o-spam_at_leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:36:59 -0000

Hi,

thanks for the responses. Could this be something to do with the network setup of this machine ? I have 2 NIC's one with a hardcoded IP for a lan and one with dhcp assigned IP to which a cable modem is connected - it is this IP that is showing up in the logs - I don't understand why. if I use the host name of this PC that resolves to the IP of the nic connected to the cable modem. Oracle is installed on this machine and acts as client & server - it is just used for development & testing - it is not a production machine.

As to the various suggestions:

I have changed the (NTS) to () - no joy.

Net manager has the SID field greyed out and there is no entry there. In the advanced tab there are no entries for Instance Name etc - in fact the only field which has anything is Global Database Name - which has the correct entry.

I get this when I set "trace 2" in lsnrctl (in listener.trc): ntt2err: soc 392 error - operation=5, ntresnt[0]=517, ntresnt[1]=54, ntresnt[2]=0
nserror: nsres: id=2, op=68, ns=12537, ns2=12560; nt[0]=507, nt[1]=0, nt[2]=0; ora[0]=0, ora[1]=0, ora[2]=0

>How are you starting up the instance's service ( the one ORADIM built)
...Manually or as an automatic service...
>After the service starts ( does it actually start? ), do you set your
ORACLE_SID before connecting to run the startup
>commands?
>When are the errors generated?

I don't really understand these questions: I am a newbie ;-)

what service are you referring to - the lsnrctl which I think is the TNS listener ? I am manually starting this prior to trying to start the db through the enterprise manager console (standalone). I am trying to start the db up with the enterprise manager console (standalone) and trying to log on as sysdba

The services in the windows control panel are listed: OracleDEFAULT_HOME services:

Agent                Automatic (A)    Started
ClientCache        Manual (M)
HTTPServer        A
PagingServer        M

SNMPPeerEncapsulator M
SNMPPeerMasterAgent M
TNSListener                       A    Started
MTSRecoveryService        A    Started

OracleNew_Home services
Agent               A
ClientCache     M

iain Received on Tue Mar 18 2003 - 16:36:59 CST