Re: Oracle 9i R2 database (9.2.0.1) on a RedHat box

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 05:45:24 +1100

"Pablo Santa" <pablo_at_roshka.com.py> wrote in message news:b57bk5$srj$1_at_news.postech.ac.kr...
> According to Oracle Web Site, linux version of the Oracle 9i R2
> (9.2.0.1) database is only supported on the following platforms:
>
> UnitedLinux 1.0
> SuSE SLES8
> SuSE SLES7
> Red Hat 2.1 AS (Advanced Server)
>
> What does this certification really means?
> Oracle DataBase server 9i R2 (9.2.0.1) will not:
>
> * Install on other RedHat linux versions?

No, it will install on Suse 7.3, Red Hat 8.0, Mandrake 9.0 and (not done this myself, though) various flavours of Debian.

> * Run properly on other RedHat linux version?

There's a hitch installing onto Red Hat 8 (at the 86% mark during the linking phase of the install) which may or may not happen in the "certified" versions you list), but there's an easy workaround. After which it installs just fine, and runs perfectly properly (and very fast, too).

> * Run efficiently on other RedHat linux version?

A particular box I have here (Pentium 4 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB hard disk space) ran Windows 2000 and 9iR2 for many months. I just recently put Red Hat 8 on the same machine, and installed 9iR2 again, and created a database with an init.ora that was as identical to the Windows one as I could make it. Preliminary tests show it running various things at speeds of over 170% of what they managed when Windows was installed. I think, in short, it's pretty efficient, and I won't be installing Oracle onto Windows ever again. The worst thing is, I now have to go back over about a year's-worth of testing to make sure I wasn't actually testing Windows rather than Oracle, and that the conclusions I came to in the past weren't OS-influenced!!

> * Be supported by Oracle on other RedHat linux version?

Gotcha. This is what certification really means. If you do all sorts of clever things, and get Oracle running on Linux on an X-box, good for you: but don't expect Oracle Support to touch you with a barge pole. For self-development work, learning, practice, prototyping, it isn't an issue. But for production purposes, best stick to the certified platforms.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Mar 18 2003 - 12:45:24 CST