Re: MTS - Multi-threaded server

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 05:34:44 +1100

> > Anything that takes awhile should be dedicated. YMMV.
>
> What happens if I have something that does run a long time; say a
> one-off process that gets comingled. What issues does that cause?
>
> (I'm wondering if that's what I'm confusing????!)

A "long time" in MTS is anything that runs for more than about 3 or 4 seconds. And the consequences are that you have effectively tied up one of the supposedly (and intendedly) shared server processors, and thus reduced the pool of processes which are available to satisfy the truly OLTP-ish job requests still coming through at a rate of knots. Other users can therefore expect to be kept waiting for their responses as a backlog of jobs is caused and cleared.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Mar 18 2003 - 12:34:44 CST