Re: Multiple listener services on win2k

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Mar 2003 22:40:14 -0800

"Krzysztof Kryczka" <k.kryczka_at_wp.pl> wrote in message news:<b5374f$qph$1_at_atlantis.news.tpi.pl>...
> Platform: Windows 2000 Serv
> Oracle: 8.1.7.1.4
>
> I have machine with 4 NICs and 3 instances on it. I'm looking for
> possibility to setup at least 3 different listener services on 3 differend
> interfaces, each one with differend sid_list. Could someone send me a hint
> how to create 3 differend listener services/processes, each one with
> different listener.ora file. Also links for windows specific NET8
> documentation are welcomed.
> Thanks for all sugestions
>
> K.K.

8.1.7.1.4?
you have multiple listener vulnerabilities to worry about. check out http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/security/alerts.htm you had best apply 8.1.7.4.1 and think about 8.1.7.4.7. the buffer overflow attack against oracle.exe will not be fixed until 8.1.7.4.8.

on NT/W2K, do yourself a favor and hardcode the ip addresses. if you use no listener.ora, the listener will listen on each nic on port 1521 by default. Obviously, if you intend to run multiple listeners, this will not suffice, nor would have have a password set on the listener.

if you aren't doing anything especially fancy, use dynamic registration, so an SID_List will not be required.

multiple listeners is a great idea such that you can stop one for file grooming operations without affecting the user's ability to connect.

but unless you are experiencing high loading rates as far as creating new sessions, I doubt that a third listener will be required.

also - think about using adaptive fault tolerance/adaptive load balancing if the NICs and drivers support it.

so I would recommend that each listener have a port bound on each NIC, so that if a single listener is not available, the connection is still completed.

Paul Received on Tue Mar 18 2003 - 00:40:14 CST