Re: One to One Relationship

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 18:33:53 -0600

Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote in news:MPG.18dffcb3604e242d989700_at_news.la.sbcglobal.net:

> 2. The "main" record is huge (width-wise, that is) and it's
> determined to be more efficient to keep the columns that are
> accessed 90% of the time in one "narrow" table (so these rows are
> more likely to fit in a database block). The less frequently
> accessed columns are kept in another 1:1 table.

This is the reason why I've implemented it in the past. From a modeling perspective, it's called L-shaped data.

I sometimes sit on the fence on that one because I can implement it by making the columns that form base of the 'L' NULL'able.

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com