Re: Creating indexes takes too long

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 15:28:12 -0800

Hari Krishna Dara wrote:

> "Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:<Jh_ba.2361$LT.7096_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...
> > "Hari Krishna Dara" <hari_newsgroups_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Hara,
> >
> > The biggest overheads in creating an index are the read of the base table
> > and the subsequent sorting involved.
> >
> > With regard to reading the table, the parameter
> > db_file_multiblock_read_count is paramount (see archives for much discussion
> > on this, also see Steve Adam's site www.ixora.com.au for good info). You may
> > also want to look at parallel options and ensure the base table is suitably
> > "striped" to minimize I/O related bottlenecks.
> >
> > With regard to the sort, ensure you have a healthy sized sort_area_size to
> > minimize a disk sort if possible (which can be set at the session level).
> > Or better still, look at the pga_aggregate_target if on 9i.
> >
> > Considering the size of your tables, I think there's definitely scope for
> > improvement ...
> >
> > Good Luck
> >
> > Richard
>
> Hello Richard,
>
> Thanks a lot for all your suggestions, we will start looking at them.
>
> Hari

It used to be said:
Never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it again.

To that we can now add:
Now enough money to hire someone that can do it right. Always enough money to pay people to endlessly mess around trying to clean up the mess.

Note to OP: Likely someone good could solve the problem in one hour ... so say $125. How much has been spent not fixing it so far?

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Mar 17 2003 - 17:28:12 CST