Re: MTS - Multi-threaded server

From: Daniel Roy <danielroy10_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Mar 2003 13:17:09 -0800

At a very high level, MTS is intended for OLTP (i.e. short-transactional) systems with a high number of users (> 300?), and dedicated servers for all the rest (including batch jobs). The memory (UGA and PGA) is allocated differently if you use MTS than if you use dedicated connections, but this is all happening on the server, not on the client. Generally, the initial creation of a dedicated connection takes longer than an MTS connection, unless the user can use a pre-spawned connection. But the difference is generally not really noticeable.

Daniel