Re: Need help with Disaster Recovery

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:48:44 -0800

Joe Condle wrote:

> We are in the middle of a disater recovery drill.
> Our Peoplesoft Oracle 8.1.6 Tru64 4.0F machine was mock destroyed.
>
> Here is what I did so far.
> On our test machine were we had alot of disk space. We created all
> the disk mount points from the fallen machine. This machine is
> running Tru64 5.1a and had Oracle 8.1.7 installed on it separate
> parition along with a different People soft version.
>
> The oracle user is the same for both versions but their home
> directories are different.
> I restored the 8.1.6 database from tape without a problem. I can not
> connect internal from svrmgrl. I think there is a group problem. I
> am using the dba group on the new box which as a dfiffernt group
> number. Is there a way to find out how the original machines Oracle
> binaries were installed as?
>
> Assuming I get the database started. What steps do I take to roll the
> database forward? I have the archive logs but technically might not
> have the control file from the crash date. I have a vdump of the
> control file but the database was not shutdown when this daily backup
> was taken. Is it any good?
>
> any help or suggestions would be great. I have never recoverd from a
> crash such as this is.
>
> Joe
> Thanks in Advance

Without giving us ORA-##### messages with full text no help is possible.

Personally I think you are looking in the wrong place for the problem.

Though if you are really interested in disaster recovery ... the first disaster you should get rid of is 8.1.6.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sun Mar 16 2003 - 22:48:44 CST