Re: Oracle 9.2.0.1 install on Debian 3.0

From: Robert Weiss <roweiss_at_web.de>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 10:52:58 +0100

H wrote:

> Now the dbca configuration assistant starts and appears as expected. I
> am however unable to create the database. It fails with an ORA-03113
> error. Searching throught the alert logs I noticed that there was a
> SIGSEGV error and
>
> ORA-07445: exception encountered: core dump [skgmidrealm()+338]
> [SIGSEGV] [Address not mapped to object] [0x8A2EE001] [] []
>
> I have hunted high and low to see what would cause this problem and am
> coming up a blank. There seems to be loads of reasons why Oracle
> produces this error so I am a bit stuck.

I had the same Problem. Found this solution (from Owen Dunn)

Getting dbca to run

 Most of the problems I experienced with installing 9iR2 were associated with running dbca, the Database Configuration Assistant, and with creating a database.

oracle_at_lslp7e:~$ dbca
SIGSEGV 11* segmentation violation

 Joy. This problem is associated with not having the correct locales installed for glibc. I ran dpkg-reconfigure locales and selected all the en_* locales to be installed, as well as selecting C as the system default locale. Make sure the DISPLAY environment variable is correctly set, and dbca should now run.

ORA-03113 when I try to CREATE DATABASE

 On the first machine I installed Oracle on (a slowish Pentium II), I was using a 2.2.19 kernel, and I didn't experience this problem. On the second machine, a 1.2GHz Celeron from Dell, CREATE DATABASE would always fail with:

ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel

Delving deeper, we see an ORA-07445 in the alert log:

ORA-07445: exception encountered: core dump [sxorchk()+69] [SIGILL] [unknown code] [0x0] [] []

This was fixed quite simply by upgrading to a 2.4.18 kernel.

Mfg, Robert Received on Sun Mar 16 2003 - 03:52:58 CST